Think of a
car today: curvy shapes, modern design, and state-of-the-art options. Now
imagine how to protect it in the event of an impact while making it tougher,
lighter and safer. The last idea that comes to mind is a fragile material
like a foam. But this is exactly the answer mechanical engineering has
found to meet demand.
Aluminum foam is the key material for greater
robustness and better structural lightness in economy cars, as well as reducing
engine noise pollution. These materials have a high impact energy absorption
capacity that can contribute to reducing the number of accidents.
developed for applying foam to cars is spray technology. “It consists in
heating a dense precursor material to near melting temperatures, which is
obtained by hot compaction of a mixture of aluminum powders and an blowing
agent. For example, titanium hydride, the most suitable for aluminum. During
the process, aluminum expands due to the melting of the metal and the
simultaneous release of gas resulting from the thermal decomposition of the
blowing agent. This forms the metal foam.
have proven to be strong allies in the construction of increasingly light and
resistant structures, generating savings with maintenance performance.
1968, this material has never been widely used in the auto industry because of
the difficulty of the molding process and its cost, as aluminum is not a cheap
But the low
weight – thanks to the composition of its volume, which has 85% of empty spaces
– and the high strength, coupled with more gradual deformation due to the
“aerated”, made the engineers insist on new methods. Now
professionals from Fraunhofer Institute and Voith Engineering Services, both
from Germany, have devised a process that promises to reduce the cost of foam:
modeling takes place during block creation, using a turbine that creates air
bubbles while molten aluminum is placed in the mold.
Used on the
most critical body breakage parts, the alusion
could make a compact car up to 20 pounds lighter, with improvements of about
10% in body rigidity and lower fuel consumption due to weight drag retraction.
In addition, this material still has the advantages of being fully recyclable,
non-toxic, fire resistant and a great soundproofing.
various features, aluminum foam is very commonly used in car industries.
- Noise-resistance: Aluminium foam prevent the noise of the environment of outside of cars. It also resists the sound which is generated from the engines.
- Architectural: It provide the architectural stability and support to the cars. It also give a good stylish look to car.
- Structural: Aluminium foam is used in many structures of car to support , prevent and heat absorption mechanism.
- Reasonable in rates: This metal is very reasonable in rates so easy to afford. Because of that reason most of car manufactures prefer to use this metal in cars.