Fact is: Data Scientists are one of the highest paid professionals across industries. The average salary of a Data Scientist is $117,345. It is a major reason people are driven towards it. But it is also one of the most challenging job fields. The responsibility to derive actionable insights from data and a consistently increasing number of tasks and challenges on their to-do list, makes data science a tough nut to crack. However, some surmount this challenge, while others learn to simplify these challenges and become better and grow in their role.
Data science certifications are gaining prominence.
Pursuing data science enables data scientists to become better at their job and ease their challenges. Here are some other reasons why Data Scientists are going for them–
- Increasing demand: IBM predicts that the demand for data scientists will grow by 25 percent by 2020. For Data Scientists to stay in their game, it is essential to increase their skills. Certifications are the quickest way to increase their skills and clinch a top spot.
- Increasing demand for skills: Data science is flourishing. New tools are emerging which are making complex decision –making faster, data processing and analysis easier. Pursuing data science certifications makes it easier to stay up-to-date with emerging technologies and expand breadth of knowledge.
- Standout from the crowd: The increasing demand for Data Scientists is pulling in too many aspirants, and as such it is difficult for recruiters to differentiate good Data Scientists from bad. Certified Data Scientists add a seal of proven authority that validates their skills, and help recruiters to separate chaff from the wheat, when it comes to hiring Data Scientists. This is one of the reasons data science courses are getting popular.
- Beyond experiential learning: Certain skills such as visualization, exploratory analysis, and data mining and machine learning skills, are hard to grab at work. Certifications easily give you this learning. Most certification programs squeeze in
daily work routine and allow self-paced learning, which makes learning easier and convenient without compromising on daily life.
- Structured approach to learning: Given the ubiquitous buzz about data science among people and availability of videos and other content for learning data science, it is enticing to be pulled towards them. However, these videos and content provide pieces of information, keep you away from learning better.
Certifications follow a systemic approach which enables deeper understanding and you get full understanding of how things work.
Putting it all together
As more companies take the plunge in data-driven decision making, the demand for data scientists will increase. In that scenario, making the data science landscape extremely competitive! Taking a data science certification eases this competition and helps beginners and working data scientists by honing their skills. Building new skills or advancing on the existing skills is easily done with certifications. So if you have ever thought about taking a data science certification, this would be a right time to go for it.