Keyword research is a crucial element of SEO. Whether you are running an existing blog or developing your content strategy for a new blog, quality keywords are one of the most efficient ways to drive consistent traffic to your site.
We have compiled a list of some of the best keyword research tools to help you conquer Google SERPs.
Let’s find out together.
The best 11 tools for doing keyword research
Seozoom is a 100% made in Italy SEO suite designed by SEO Cube, a well-known agency in Naples that has decided to change its commercial direction by moving more and more from consultancy to service provider.
At the moment SEOZoom boasts a database of over 500 million keywords and allows you to have a complete overview of your reference sector.
- Click to run are looking for the best keywords for your website
- Check your daily placement
- Keep an eye on your competitors and spy on their strategies
- Analyze your backlink profile
- Analyze your competitors’ PPC investments
- Much more!
The LITE plan is designed for those who approach SEOZoom for the first time and want or have just started developing a site. The price is € 49. The PROFESSIONAL plan is priced at € 69 per month. For BUSINESS and CORPORATE plans, prices are € 139 and € 469 per month respectively.
2. Ahrefs Keyword Explorer
Ahrefs is one of the best keyword research tools available. The platform provides the user with an extensive keyword report and relies on clickstream data to provide unique click metrics.
- A precise score of keyword difficulty
- Over 1,000 keyword suggestions
- Supported in over 171 countries
- Click metrics to improve CTR
- Wide SERP overview
Ahrefs has four tariff plans. Rates for freelancers, online marketers, midsize organizations and larger brands start at just $ 82 a month if you choose an annual payment plan.
Ahrefs provides a trial offer ($ 7 for 7 days) on Lite and Standard subscription plans.
3. Google keyword planner
Google Keyword Planner is a simple option that offers some basic functions. Despite the lack of functionality, however, it is one of the most accurate keyword sources on the market. The data comes directly from Google and the results integrate well with the monetization of AdSense.
- Accurate search volume directly from the Google search engine
- The best choice for corporate websites
Google Keyword Planner is available for free.
SEMrush is like the Swiss SEO knife. Instead of producing a list of keywords, SEMrush suggests 5-10 very specific keywords that your competitors are already using.
- Learn about long-tail keywords and ad group ideas
- Get annual keyword trends
- Worldwide CPC distribution statistics
- Access to the complete keyword research toolkit
- Keyword analysis and organic traffic information
SEMrush provides a 7-day free trial. You need to enter your credit card details to access the trial version, but no fees will apply if you choose to cancel your subscription within the 7-day trial.
SEMrush has four different pricing plans. The best offers are for annual billing.
- Pros: A plan for sites with limited budgets and freelancers starts at $ 83 per month and is billed annually.
- Guru – SEO agencies and small and medium-sized businesses will find the functionality of this plan perfect for the daily management of content sites. Guru starts at $ 166 per month.
- Business: It is ideal for stores and e-commerce agencies for $ 333 per month.
- Enterprise: If you have an extensive content strategy, which goes beyond the capacity of the above solutions, SEMrush can customize a plan for your needs.
KWFinder is a tool designed by Mangools, a developer known for providing the best keyword research tools in all categories. To get started you can use the beginner’s guide.
The KWFinder platform makes it easy to search for keywords with low SEO difficulty, along with a host of other useful features.
- A unique and easy to navigate user interface
- Find keywords in any language and target
- Get accurate statistics for keyword competition
- In-depth SERP overview next to a list of suggestions
- Use filters to refine your keyword suggestion list
KWFinder is part of the Mangools package which includes 4 other SEO tools. It only allows for a handful of free searches. Select an annual plan to save up to 40% on one of their 3 subscriptions.
- Base: $ 30 (freelancers and small businesses)
- Premium: $ 40 (new startups and blogs)
- Agency – $ 80 (e-commerce stores and large sites)
6. Long Tail Pro
It’s no secret that long-tail keywords are the new SEO standard. Long Tail Pro generates long-tail keywords for niche sites and has even found a cult following with content producers for micro-niche sites.
- Powerful and detailed keyword metrics
- Find long-tail keywords easily
- Provides recommendations for attracting highly convertible organic traffic
- Over 2,500 SERP searches every 24 hours
Long Tail Pro is a premium tool and currently does not offer a free trial version. Subscriptions start at $ 25 per month (if billed annually). Long Tail Pro currently offers three plans:
- Starter – $ 25 / month
- Pro – $ 45 / month
- Agency – $ 98 / month
Majestic is an all-in-one SEO tool for keeping track of your site’s health. It is an ideal tool for new blogs and small businesses that lack the resources to invest in search engine optimization.
- All SEO features are available in a single toolkit
- Research competition on each keyword
Majestic allows you to register and perform 3 free searches to get an idea of the service. The keyword checker, however, is only available in the PRO and API plans. You can purchase the SEO toolkit for $ 83 / month if you select the annual billing option.
8. Keyword Tool
Keyword Tool is considered one of the main keyword research tools on the market and offers analysis for multiple search engines including Google, YouTube, Bing, Amazon, and App Store.
- Find keywords using Google’s autocomplete
- Export the results to CSV
- Simple UX for beginners
Keyword Tool is very similar to Google Keyword Planner. It’s free for the first 750+ keywords and it’s extremely easy to get started. Keyword Tool’s “Basic” plan starts at $ 69 per month and is billed annually.
If you are looking for a complete SEO suite, Serpstat is an excellent option that combines website analysis, keyword research, SERP analysis, backlink analysis, rank tracker and website audit functionality. It is an all-in-one solution aimed at simplifying the entire SEO category.
- Discover your competitors using the competitor graph function
- The cheapest option on our list
Similar to a couple of other options we have listed, Serpstat can be used a few times for free by signing up with a trial subscription. To use the service regularly, however, you need to purchase one of their subscriptions. A personal plan costs $ 55 a month.
10. Moz Keyword Explorer
Moz Keyword Explorer provides tips for easy-to-use and ready-to-use keywords. Moz’s SEO tool boasts all the features you would expect from the best keyword research tools.
- Get related keyword suggestions
- Organic CTR and priority score for smart targeting
- Moz offers a one-month trial period
Sign up for a free Moz account and get 10 free queries per month. Keyword Explorer is not an independent search tool, to have full access to this useful little resource you will have to pay for the entire SEO suite. You can get Moz’s keyword research features in the platform’s “Medium” plan, which starts at $ 179 per month with the option for a 30-day free trial.
SpyFu is the # 1 choice for analyzing your competitors’ SEO strategies. This tool discovers valuable and untapped keywords which makes a huge difference if you work in a highly saturated niche.
- Compare several competing websites for a single search term
- Discover the difficulty of positioning and the historical changes of the ranking
- Additional modules for an in-depth analysis of the domain
SpyFu is a little different from the other tools we have listed here in that it offers monthly results, not real-time feedback. You can sign up for SpyFu for $ 33 per month if you choose the annual billing option.
What is the best keyword research tool for you?
These are some of the best keyword research tools currently available in the SEO market.
To find what works for your business, start by analyzing your budget then consider the main goal of your brand’s SEO strategy.
If budget is your main concern, narrow your choice to Google Keyword Planner or Serpstat. If you need a more reliable toolset, consider SEOZoom KWFinder, SEMrush or Moz Keyword Explorer.